universal flags and configuration

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 07:46:46 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I changed the above defaults back to the same as on MacPorts 1.6.0,
>> except that it is now configured at compiletime (in macports.conf).
>>
>> So it will now again use /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk on Leopard,
>> and /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk on Tiger and avoid cross-compile.
>>

>> This implicitly also fixes the issues were the wrong MDT was being
>> passed to GCC, even if it now passes an extra -mmacosx-version-min
>>
>> As before, cross-compiling is not going to be supported this way
>> since the variants (like +darwin_8 and +i386) will all be wrong.
>
> I don't really understand why this was changed yet again. I renew
> my objection, which is that a port built with +universal on Leopard
> won't work on Tiger (but the same port built with +universal on
> Tiger will work on Leopard). Doesn't this defeat part of the
> purpose of universal?

It all depends on what your definition of "universal" is...

Is it something that will "work universally", or is it a
more narrow definition of "both PowerPC and Intel" arch ?

I just reverted it back to the second of those definitions.

A non-universal port built on Leopard won't work on Tiger
either, so this makes them more similar to regular ports.

Anyway, the definitions of MDT/SDK/archs are now configs
instead of hardcoded so user can change them if they want ?

--anders