[32334] trunk/www/install.php

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Jan 8 12:04:12 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>> Revision
>> 32334
>> Author
>> jmpp at macports.org
>> Date
>> 2007-12-25 13:33:06 -0800 (Tue, 25 Dec 2007)
>>
>> Log Message
>> Clarify that Leopard users need to install Xcode 3.0, while Tiger
>> users need 2.5 (sorry Anders, no direct link to 2.4 off apple's
>> site :-P).
>
> As long as you are willing to deal with the breakage from using
> Xcode 2.5 (like #13736 et al), feel free to recommend either... I
> still think 2.4(.1) is the one to use while on Tiger. But the link
> is the same as ever: http://connect.apple.com
>
> "Xcode 2.5 is a minor update to the Tiger tools that is functionally
> similar to Xcode 2.4.1. It is not considered a critical update. ...
> This release is recommended for developers needing to continue to
> use the Tiger tools while running Leopard, and serves as a
> transition to Xcode 3.0..."

	My main concern was providing a direct link to a downloadable
package, and currently Apple provides none for 2.4.1 unless you log
into connect.apple.com (at which point the link to the 2.4.1 bundle
becomes unique to your session, invalid out of it). That's why I
advertised 2.5, but I guess I could revert that to 2.4.1 and live
without a direct link. Done in r32584

>> Also switch to the now more familiar "Xcode" name, as the older
>> "Developer Tools" is apparently being phased out. Closes #12779.
>
> I only use the name "Developer Tools" since "Xcode Tools" is
> somewhat ambiguous and easily confused with Xcode.app even though it
> also installs a lot of BSD tools... But you can say "Xcode Tools
> 2.4" instead of "August 2006 Developer Tools" if you prefer that
> name (but not just Xcode please)
>
> So saying Developer Tools is just a personal preference of mine,
> that extends to FreeBSD and Fedora as well. But the name hasn't been
> in use since Project Builder, when everything was renamed to Xcode.
> I kinda expected Interface Builder to be renamed to Xgui or
> something too, but that never happened.

	I was saying "Xcode 3.0 developer tools" for a mixed result, but I
understand your concern so I capitalized "Developer Tools" for
improved readability.

	Thanks for the feedback! Regards,...

-jmpp