Different dmgs for different felines

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 8 13:38:31 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 15:14, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> Even though I do believe that Universal building is a bit of a
> waste of space more often than not for most, I do buy into the
> simplicity such builds report for users that only have to go
> looking for a single download link. Maybe Markus could advise us on
> how we could achieve this through the MacPorts Portfile (sudo port
> dmg MacPorts)?

Why don't we instead change the base Makefile so that it builds
universal (for 10.3.9 on PPC, for 10.4u on i386). That way, you get a
universal build no matter how you do it, whether through the MacPorts
Portfile, manually, or via selfupdate. This would also address
Rainer's concerns from earlier, which may be a valid point (that
selfupdate would make it non-universal again) (though I haven't
tested whether this is really the case) (though I could see that it
might be):