tetex/texlive dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 9 15:53:15 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 17:48, John Owens wrote:

> For several years I've been using tetex successfully.
> But as it's no longer updated, I'm happy to move to
> the new texlive port.
>
> It was tricky to install texlive because of tetex
> (getting tetex deactivated and texlive activated
> was ugly).
>
> But more importantly, now that texlive is installed,
> there's lots of other ports that still depend on
> tetex that want to use tetex, such as:
>
> $ port deps bibtex2html
> bibtex2html has build dependencies on:
>         ocaml
> bibtex2html has runtime dependencies on:
>         teTeX
>
> Is there any way that we can have some sort of
> 'virtual' TeX port that either recognizes tetex
> or texlive, or otherwise convince ports that
> depend on tetex that texlive is good enough?

If more than one port installs a binary foo, and either one is good
enough, this could be specified in a portfile by saying

depends_lib path:${prefix}/bin/foo:bar

where "bar" is the preferred port for providing foo if it is not
already installed.

The dependencies would have to be changed in all ports that currently
depend directly on teTeX.