tetex/texlive dependencies

John Owens john_owens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 16:03:06 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:

> If more than one port installs a binary foo, and either one is good
> enough, this could be specified in a portfile by saying
>
> depends_lib path:${prefix}/bin/foo:bar
>
> where "bar" is the preferred port for providing foo if it is not
> already installed.
>
> The dependencies would have to be changed in all ports that currently
> depend directly on teTeX.

OK cool. A few questions then:

- At what point do we think about making texlive the 'default'
  TeX port rather than teTeX? (We should, eventually.)

- Seems like it would be more valuable to say "either this port
  or that port" rather than "depends on file", because there
  might be many many files that need to be supported.

- Let's say I'm updating a port and want to make this change.
  How can I actually tell what file is the dependency (without
  delving into the makefiles)? Seems like I'd have to delve.

JDO