How embarrasing!

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 02:08:08 PST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 10:13, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> What's the purpose of the symlink? I'm surprised we even have it.

When we agreed to have man pages in $prefix/share/man, we put this
symlink in place to automagically fix all misbehaving ports and afair
also because of some man search directory weirdness, where man
expected the man pages in $PATH[n]/../man, if I recall correctly.
Anyway: We should definitely remove it! Most ports behave well already
and the rest should be found by the mtree checks.

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>

>> Warning: violation by /opt/local/man
>> Warning: MacPorts violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
>> Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is
>> intended), it will be an error in future releases!
>>

>> 	Do you think it's safe to remove the ${prefix}/man symlink to $
>> {prefix}/share/man in MacPorts sources? Or do we have to bite the
>> bullet and "destroot.violate_mtree yes"-justify ourselves to remove
>> the warning?
>>

>> -jmpp

> --
> Kevin Ballard