How embarrasing!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 02:31:54 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 04:08, Markus Weissmann wrote:

>> What's the purpose of the symlink? I'm surprised we even have it.
>
> When we agreed to have man pages in $prefix/share/man, we put this
> symlink in place to automagically fix all misbehaving ports and
> afair also because of some man search directory weirdness, where
> man expected the man pages in $PATH[n]/../man, if I recall correctly.
> Anyway: We should definitely remove it! Most ports behave well
> already and the rest should be found by the mtree checks.

I would say we should definitely keep the symlink, because some ports
still misbehave and install manpages into ${prefix}/man instead of $
{prefix}/share/man; the symlink helps these files go to the right
place anyway. Three ports that I currently have installed do this, as
I see. Also, I would say that it rather points out again that the
existence of the MacPorts port is weird. (It's weird to use MacPorts
to install MacPorts.)