How embarrasing!

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 05:58:07 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 6:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> What's the purpose of the symlink? I'm surprised we even have it.
>>
>> When we agreed to have man pages in $prefix/share/man, we put this
>> symlink in place to automagically fix all misbehaving ports and
>> afair also because of some man search directory weirdness, where
>> man expected the man pages in $PATH[n]/../man, if I recall correctly.
>> Anyway: We should definitely remove it! Most ports behave well
>> already and the rest should be found by the mtree checks.
>
> I would say we should definitely keep the symlink, because some
> ports still misbehave and install manpages into ${prefix}/man
> instead of ${prefix}/share/man; the symlink helps these files go to
> the right place anyway. Three ports that I currently have installed
> do this, as I see.

	I'd favor removing it. It's been eons since we introduced it and I'd
think by now it's acceptable telling stragglers "hey, we gave you too
much time!" If ports start failing somehow due to the removal, them
let them fail I say. I'm sure tickets for them will be filed.

> Also, I would say that it rather points out again that the existence
> of the MacPorts port is weird. (It's weird to use MacPorts to
> install MacPorts.)

	Why is it weird? Bootstrapping may not be the easiest thing around,
but there certainly are some projects out there that do it (hint:
gcc). In any case, our bootsrapping needs are incredibly simple: as
far as I know, the only thing the MacPorts port is used for is to
build the dmgs, as it makes it incredibly easier, but nothing more
(certainly not to *install* MacPorts).

	Regards,...

-jmpp