2-architecture +universal variants please (was: Re: [32999] trunk/base/ChangeLog)

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Thu Jan 17 08:44:25 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:58:35AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> >>Yes, but I understood that it was changed to use the 10.5 SDK on
> >>Leopard because using the 10.4u SDK on Leopard was broken?
> >
> >No, the usage of it was broken. It wasn't setting
> >MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET (to use 10.4)
> >
> >"ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.5.o"
> >
> >Changing to the 10.5 SDK made the problem "go away", since it would
> >work with M_D_T=10.5
>
> Oh I see! Then yes, by all means, we should use the 10.4u SDK and set
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.4.

	Mmm, this sounds like the idea is "build for Tiger if we're
on Leopard" even if the user will never use the ports on Tiger.
What's being given up by using the 10.4 SDK instead of 10.5 (i.e.
what fixes, enhancements, etc.)?
	If there's no real difference, fine.  If there is a difference,
I think it should be an option for those who are going to build on
Leopard and share with Tiger systems, otherwise use the platform-native
SDKs.

		-eric