[MacPorts] #14104: pv 1.1.0 upgrade/build failure

Matthew K. Meissner meissnem at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:11:31 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 10:19 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008, at 09:54, MacPorts wrote:
>
>> #14104: pv 1.1.0 upgrade/build failure
>> ---------------------------------
>> +------------------------------------------
>>  Reporter:  meissnem at gmail.com  |       Owner:  ryandesign at macports.org
>>      Type:  defect              |      Status:  new
>> Component:  ports               |     Version:  1.6.0
>> Resolution:                      |    Keywords:  pv upgrade build
>> failure
>> ---------------------------------
>> +------------------------------------------
>> Comment (by meissnem at gmail.com):
>>
>> The post-patch is needed on Leopard -- that's my primary system and
>> I can
>> confirm it.
>>
>> I got my hands on a 10.4.11 system myself and confirmed what you
>> found, so
>> I'm attaching an updated patch.
>>
>> As an aside, it sure would be nice to have a 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5
>> machine
>> available to maintainers for testing... or if not maintainers then at
>> least committers!
>
> That could be nice... but has some complications. First, getting
> funds and getting machines. I suppose three Mac minis could be found
> for cheap (ideally five: three PowerPC OSes, two Intel ones). Then,
> probably each committer would need their own user account with their
> own MacPorts installation, so as not to step on one another's toes.
> And then there's the problem that not all ports can install without
> root access, which none of the commiters would likely have on these
> testing boxes.

True on all points.  I never claimed it was easy :)

I just tried using the 10.4 SDK (-isysroot, -mmacosx-version-min,
etc.) on my Leopard system to reproduce the results on Tiger and it
worked.  Does anyone have any experience using that approach to test
for different platforms?  Would it be a decent poor-man's workaround,
or just a waste of time?

--
Matt Meissner
meissnem at gmail.com