Meaning of

Marcus mcalhoun at macports.org
Tue Jul 8 13:14:36 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 09:30, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
>
> > I am experimenting with a local version of graphviz.
> > During the activation phase, I get the error:
> > Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Not a directory
> >
> > Does anyone know the meaning of this error?
> >
> > The previous message is
> > DEBUG: Adding link to file_map: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
> > Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gv.py for:
> > graphviz
> >
> > The file gv.py is the problem.
> > I have arranged it so that gv.py is the only python file to be
> > installed.
> > When I prevent  it from being installed, there is no problem
> > Strangely enough, the file gv.py does in fact get installed (and then
> > the activation phase dies).
> >
> > The directory  /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
> > Versions/
> > 2.5/lib/python2.5 is not a directory.
> > It is a link to /opt/local/lib/python2.5.
>
> I am the maintainer of the graphviz port but I do not use the
> language bindings or Python in general so if something isn't working
> right I'll need your help.
>
> How are you installing graphviz? With the +python variant? I see that
> this variant is coded to use the python24 port.
>
> What do you mean "a local version of graphviz"? Do you mean outside
> of MacPorts? If so, is there something broken in the graphviz port
> that I need to fix?

The current version of graphviz uses Python 2.4.
I am trying to create a variant which uses Python 2.5
since it is the most recent.

I have a local portfile repository for just these cases,
which is what I meant by "a local version of graphviz."
I did not submit a bug report because the problem seems
to be causes by my own modifications.

The error I get is a mystery to me, and I was hoping
someone on the list could tell me what it means.

Thanks,
Marcus