Leopard makes ppc7400 binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 11 01:29:04 PDT 2008

When I compile on Leopard on a PowerPC Mac, "lipo" shows that
executables and dynamic libraries are getting created with the
architecture "ppc7400" instead of "ppc" as on Tiger and earlier.
Static libraries still are "ppc".

Even in universal binaries, when I specifically request "i386" and
"ppc", I get a binary with "i386" and "ppc7400".

This seems to mean that these binaries require a G4 or better, and
won't work on a G3. Leopard of course also requires a G4.

Here's a post I found:

http://www.jaharmi.com/2007/10/28/compiled_for_ppc7400

I guess I don't have a question, I was just surprised so I wanted to
share.