Chunked guide

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Thu Jul 17 02:05:46 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Simon Ruderich <simon at ruderich.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed a new target "guide-chunked" to the doc-new Makefile which
> generates a chunked version of the guide [1].
>
> I used a Tcl script to add the table of contents to each page. Please have a
> look at [2] and tell me what you think.
>
> If you like it we can activate the guide-chunked target on the documentation
> server and make it available to everybody.

I like it. Is it possible to chunk the guide at x.y sections instead
of chapters?

Some notes:

Indexers such a google do not seem to respect links to individual
headers, but instead always return the user to the top of the page, so
the smaller the chunk, the better the user experience when coming from
a search.

Even though it did not need them, the scroll bars were kept in the
navigation bar. Empty scroll bars don't look good in Safari IMHO.

Can each page get a further table of contents of its headers down to
the x.y.z level?