[MacPorts] #15908: Ticket queries are not useful

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 18 17:13:51 PDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 15:58, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2008, at 11:35 AM, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> You should keep an eye on <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15210>
>> then which will allow you to use the Custom Query page to search for
>> tickets about a specific port. This wont solve the problem of users
>> not knowing which port is actually broken when its a dependency that
>> fails, but its better than what we currently have.
>
> I always just go to the custom query page [1], add a summary filter,
> and put the port name there; as long as people follow the proper trac
> ticketing guidelines [2] this works quite nicely.  E.g., only three
> hits for open sbcl tickets (#14036, #14241, and #15157).

I do this too.

> I've found using the base search portion of trac, though, does result
> in lots of excess, since it defaults to search tickets (all parts of
> them, open and closed), changesets, and the wiki...

I used the default search box in Trac a couple times when we first
switched to Trac, then never again, because it never gave me the
results I needed.

Would like a search box added which does just a summary search on
tickets. Not sure where it should be placed but it's almost the only
search I do. Add a drop-down menu for whether you want to search for
new or open or closed tickets and you've taken care of a majority of
users' search needs I think. Like in the attached ticket_search.php.