Name for StartupItem Variant

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Fri Jul 25 12:35:58 PDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Uwe Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to add a variant to a port which should create a
> StartupItem.
> In the MacPort Guide the example uses "server" as name for the
> variant.
> Is this common practice? Or are there any other suggestions?

I would suggest either *always* installing the startup item (but
disabled by default), or creating a new port, <base port>-server, that
depends on the base port and declares only a startup item.

The postgresql ports all provide "-server" ports -- you don't have to
rebuild the whole port just to add a startup item.

In contrast, I can't tell you the number of times I had employees
accidentally build MySQL without the +server variant on their
workstation, and then have to rebuild it all again just for the
startup item.

-landonf