Name for StartupItem Variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 25 12:54:32 PDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 14:35, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Uwe Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I would like to add a variant to a port which should create a
>> StartupItem.
>> In the MacPort Guide the example uses "server" as name for the
>> variant.
>> Is this common practice? Or are there any other suggestions?
>
> I would suggest either *always* installing the startup item (but
> disabled by default), or creating a new port, <base port>-server,
> that depends on the base port and declares only a startup item.
>
> The postgresql ports all provide "-server" ports -- you don't have
> to rebuild the whole port just to add a startup item.
>
> In contrast, I can't tell you the number of times I had employees
> accidentally build MySQL without the +server variant on their
> workstation, and then have to rebuild it all again just for the
> startup item.

Mhm. The mysql5 port should be changed. Here's the ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12313

There's also mysql5-devel. Should there be a separate mysql5-devel-
server port? Or mysql5-server-devel? Or would the mysql5-server port
be written to use either mysql5 or mysql5-devel? I'm thinking this
last option is best if it's possible.