chunked guide / docs.macports.org?

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Jul 28 17:51:44 PDT 2008

>>> Simon has got the details of the chunked guide worked out, and I am
>>> of the
>>> opinion that it is better that guide.macports.org display the chunked
>>> guide with an obvious link somewhere to the single-page version, as
>>> opposed to the guide.macports.org pulling up a page that asks
>>> 'single-page
>>> or multi-page?'  I prefer to provide the chunked guide as a sane
>>> default.
>>> Do you agree or disagree with this?
>>>
>>> Also, I am thinking that maybe we need a docs.macports.org url to
>>> track
>>> all our documents.  I know Jordan mentioned we should link the
>>> HOWTOs in
>>> the Guide, but I think it might be better to link a more general
>>> docs page
>>> there and perhaps elsewhere.  Opinions?
>>
>> I would prefer that we gravitate towards less hostnames, not more.
>>
>> Our documentation is currently in the Guide (guide.macports.org) and
>> in the wiki (trac.macports.org/wiki). Do we really need another page
>> that provides just those two links?
>>
>> Maybe it would make sense to have a wiki page which provides links to
>> all documentation.
>

>I agree with Ryan. Why not try to standardize on something like
><http://macports.org/docs/
> >  for everything? That page could contain links into the Trac wiki,
>guide, FAQ, whatever. The main page at macports.org would have a
>single "Documentation" link to that page. We could even move the
>guide(s) into <http://macports.org/docs/guide/>.

I agree.  I did not mean to say I thought we needed both
guide.macports.org and docs.macports.org.  I had two separate questions.
But anyway, should we then ditch http://guide.macports.org for
http://macports.org/docs/?  It seems like a pretty good idea to me and
that is what I was getting at.  http://guide.macports.org seems
problematic to me now as too specific, and it tends to make people equate
the Guide with "MacPorts documentation", whereas I think of it as one in a
set.

Mark