chunked guide / docs.macports.org?

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Jul 28 19:25:40 PDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 5:51 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

>>> I would prefer that we gravitate towards less hostnames, not more.
>>>
>>> Our documentation is currently in the Guide (guide.macports.org) and
>>> in the wiki (trac.macports.org/wiki). Do we really need another page
>>> that provides just those two links?
>>>
>>> Maybe it would make sense to have a wiki page which provides links
>>> all documentation.
>>

>> I agree with Ryan. Why not try to standardize on something like
>> <http://macports.org/docs/
>>> for everything? That page could contain links into the Trac wiki,
>> guide, FAQ, whatever. The main page at macports.org would have a
>> single "Documentation" link to that page. We could even move the
>> guide(s) into <http://macports.org/docs/guide/>.
>
> I agree.  I did not mean to say I thought we needed both
> guide.macports.org and docs.macports.org.  I had two separate
> questions.
> But anyway, should we then ditch http://guide.macports.org for
> http://macports.org/docs/?  It seems like a pretty good idea to me and
> that is what I was getting at.  http://guide.macports.org seems
> problematic to me now as too specific, and it tends to make people
> equate
> the Guide with "MacPorts documentation", whereas I think of it as
> one in a
> set.

My idea was for /docs/ to be static HTML/PHP  in the repo which
renders to something like:

Documentation:
	* Installation
	* HOWTOs
	* Guide:
		* Chunked HTML
		* Single HTML
		* a future PDF version maybe?
	* Bug Reporting Guidelines
	* Becoming a Member??

So this /docs/ page would replace several left navigation links on
macports.org. The existing Documentation link would point to /docs/
and the above list.

-Bill