[38646] trunk/doc-new/guide

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Tue Jul 29 01:25:03 PDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:13 AM, Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> make guide takes 6.5 seconds on my machine, which is quick enough
>>> for me,
>>> but the make validate takes only 2, so for just verifying while
>>> editing this is
>>> even better, of course.
>>>

>> If it takes significantly longer than this for anyone, check to see
>> if
>> you have XML_CATALOG_FILES set in your environment.  I did, and it
>> kept downloading stuff, so I killed it after 8.5 minutes...once I
>> unset it, it took about as long as it did for Florian.
>
> But do I loose something without this variable or can it
> be considered a trick to speed up things when working
> on the guide? I browsed it locally afterwards and it seemed
> all fine.

I think it depends on where it points.  If it's not set and you're
using xsltproc from MacPorts, it should default to /opt/local/etc/xml/
catalog which then points to all the XSL and XML stuff for docbook.
Assuming you have the docbook-xsl and docbook-xml ports installed, you
should have everything you need (as you've see looking at the output).

In my case it was pointed to a nonexistent catalog file (I think I was
messing with it years ago and just left it in .bash_profile) so I
believe it was redownloading all those docbook files again, hence the
slowness...

Bryan