[38646] trunk/doc-new/guide

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jul 29 07:50:31 PDT 2008

Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:
>> Building the guide with docbook takes very long in my opinion. There is also
>> a quicker 'make validate' which just checks for syntax errors before
>> building.
>
> make guide takes 6.5 seconds on my machine, which is quick enough for me,
> but the make validate takes only 2, so for just verifying while editing this is
> even better, of course.

Oh, really *that* fast? Maybe something with my setup is wrong...

$ make clean

$ time make guide
real    11m58.320s
user    0m7.515s
sys     0m1.018s

This is what I consider long. Although I have no idea why we have that
big differences. Even for rebuilding without changes and without
cleaning it takes that long. I am on a MacBook (Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz).

I have the following relevant ports installed:

$ port installed docbook* libxslt
   docbook-dsssl @1.79_0 (active)
   docbook-xml @4.5_1 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.1.2 @4.1.2_1 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.2 @4.2_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.3 @4.3_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.4 @4.4_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.5 @4.5_0 (active)
   docbook-xsl @1.73.2_0 (active)
   libxslt @1.1.23_0 (active)

Probably I should only keep one of the various docbook versions?

I don't have XML_CATALOG_FILES in my environment as Bryan suggested in
another mail.

Rainer