Python Frameworks need testing

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jun 9 18:56:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

I consider the work in the branch python-frameworks as finished and it
needs some more testing until I will merge it back into trunk/dports. So
I need your help here.

I would kindly ask volunteers to checkout the python-frameworks branch
[1] and test to install the python ports from there. Please also test
reinstalling existing or new python modules provided by the py-* and
py25-* ports.

The installation should be fully compatible with a normal unix
installation of python. Please report back any problems you find.

Some notes:

Don't be surprised that these ports now use
${prefix}/Library/Frameworks, while other ports install their frameworks
directly to /System/Library/Frameworks, but Apple's version of
Python.framework is already there. With the next major release, all
ports should switch to ${frameworks_dir} anyway.

After potential issues are found and fixed, I will move these Portfiles
back to trunk. Then I am also going to make additions to python_select
to deal with the 'Current' symlink of Python.framework.

I don't know if we have any port using '-framework Python' for building,
but it would be hard to maintain the dependency for it. Changing the
'Current' symlink at build time is not really a good idea in my opinion.
Consider using the default unix way instead.

Blair, I added you to CC as you asked about a month ago for the progress.

Rainer

[1]
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/python-frameworks/dports/