Python Frameworks need testing

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Jun 9 19:45:10 PDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I consider the work in the branch python-frameworks as finished and it
> needs some more testing until I will merge it back into trunk/
> dports. So
> I need your help here.

A few initial notes, nothing major as yet:

- any reason you switched to tgz from the tar.bz2 (since that means
another download of the basic same file)?

- this may not affect anything at all, but most frameworks I've seen
have the Headers, Resources, and main library symlinked at the base of
the framework directory (and that CodeResources is new, so not sure
about that):

$ ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
total 32
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   26 Mar 12 14:59 CodeResources@ -> Versions/
2.5/CodeResources
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   24 Mar 12 18:07 Headers@ -> Versions/
Current/Headers
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   23 Mar 12 14:59 Python@ -> Versions/
Current/Python
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   26 Mar 12 14:59 Resources@ -> Versions/
Current/Resources
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  170 Mar 12 15:00 Versions/

yours only has Versions...again, may have no negative effects at all,
but there's always the possibility someone, somewhere may be looking
for the base one.

- for some odd reason, ${prefix}/lib/libpython2.5.dylib built fully
universal (32 and 64 bit) whereas everything else is just i386:

$ file lib/libpython2.5.dylib
lib/libpython2.5.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
lib/libpython2.5.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library i386
lib/libpython2.5.dylib (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library ppc
lib/libpython2.5.dylib (for architecture ppc64):	Mach-O 64-bit
dynamically linked shared library ppc64
lib/libpython2.5.dylib (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit
dynamically linked shared library x86_64

$ file bin/python2.5
bin/python2.5: Mach-O executable i386

$ file Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python: Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386

Wait, the current non-framework python25 port does the same thing
(though obviously without Library/Frameworks.../Python), so it didn't
come in with the framework stuff.

Bryan