Python Frameworks need testing

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Jun 9 21:33:28 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I consider the work in the branch python-frameworks as finished and it
> needs some more testing until I will merge it back into trunk/dports. So
> I need your help here.

Thanks for working on this.

> I would kindly ask volunteers to checkout the python-frameworks branch
> [1] and test to install the python ports from there. Please also test
> reinstalling existing or new python modules provided by the py-* and
> py25-* ports.
>
> The installation should be fully compatible with a normal unix
> installation of python. Please report back any problems you find.

Should we do fresh builds or take an existing tree and update the MacPorts in it?

> Some notes:
>
> Don't be surprised that these ports now use
> ${prefix}/Library/Frameworks, while other ports install their frameworks
> directly to /System/Library/Frameworks, but Apple's version of
> Python.framework is already there. With the next major release, all
> ports should switch to ${frameworks_dir} anyway.
>
> After potential issues are found and fixed, I will move these Portfiles
> back to trunk. Then I am also going to make additions to python_select
> to deal with the 'Current' symlink of Python.framework.

Do you only need the Current symlink at build time?

> I don't know if we have any port using '-framework Python' for building,
> but it would be hard to maintain the dependency for it. Changing the
> 'Current' symlink at build time is not really a good idea in my opinion.
> Consider using the default unix way instead.

We could build a fake Frameworks directory for the build and have each program
link against the Python there.

What is the default unix way?

Blair

--