Python Frameworks need testing

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 04:58:21 PDT 2008

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Should we do fresh builds or take an existing tree and update the MacPorts in it?

Both should work without problems, hopefully.

>> After potential issues are found and fixed, I will move these Portfiles
>> back to trunk. Then I am also going to make additions to python_select
>> to deal with the 'Current' symlink of Python.framework.
>
> Do you only need the Current symlink at build time?

The Current symlink is needed as soon as you want to use the framework.
For example also when you want to use it for compiling outside of MacPorts.

>> I don't know if we have any port using '-framework Python' for building,
>> but it would be hard to maintain the dependency for it. Changing the
>> 'Current' symlink at build time is not really a good idea in my opinion.
>> Consider using the default unix way instead.
>
> We could build a fake Frameworks directory for the build and have each program
> link against the Python there.

Sounds like an interesting idea. But this is only needed if we really
have ports using -framework Python.

> What is the default unix way?

I meant -L and -I flags for the compiler instead of -F and -framework.
The ports still install the usual libpython*.dylib and include directories.

Rainer