Jaguar support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 16:04:19 PDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 04:22, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 03:40, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>>  Ryan Schmidt:
>>
>>> Just for fun, I tried to compile MacPorts trunk on Mac OS X 10.2.8
>>> Jaguar. It didn't work:
>>>

>>> checking for sed... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
>>> checking which sed flag to use for extended regexp... no idea
>>> configure: error: cannot determine flag to use for /usr/bin/sed
>>>

>>> sed on Jaguar may not have any support for extended (modern) regular
>>> expressions. I can't find any mention of them in the manpage.
>>>
>>> What should we do at this point? We still have 99 ports with
>>> "platform darwin 6" sections. Should we declare Jaguar support dead
>>> and remove those parts of those ports? Or can we fix Jaguar support
>>> somehow? Or do we leave it as is and require users to manually build
>>> GNU sed in order to build MacPorts? (If so, it'll be an older
>>> version; GNU sed 4.1.5 doesn't compile on Jaguar either.)
>>
>> We can change it from a configure/compile-time error, to a run-time ?
>>
>> Considering there are not very many ports that use extended regexps
>> anyway, it can be made to just error out when doing a -E reinplace...
>> (rules of the game being that using jaguar *and* extended won't work)
>
> Possible. I just expect that the number of ports using extended
> regexp syntax will only increase. This was a newly added feature. As
> time goes on, maintainers will adopt it.
>
>> Alternatively one could just use an older MacPorts version for
>> Jaguar.
>
> I don't much like that alternative since the ports tree will be very
> quickly updated to use keywords only in the newest release of
> MacPorts.
>
>> But add a ticket for it, and I'll take a peek at hacking something
>> up.
>
> Thanks Anders. Here's the ticket:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15577

Ok, with that ticket resolved, the build proceeds further, but now
complains about missing X11:

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking whether -R must be followed by a space... neither works
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
Unknown configuration problem. Please install the X11 runtime
and/or X11 SDK  packages from the Xcode Developer Tools CD
configure: error: Broken X11 install

Of course Apple does not provide X11 for Jaguar. They once provided a
public beta of X11 for Jaguar but it was removed once Apple released
the final version of X11 for Panther. I searched Google for "+x11
+jaguar" and this was the first result:

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~marcosh/iraf/macx11.html

Which led me to this binary of XFree86 4.3.0 for Jaguar:

That got me further again, but now I don't know how to proceed with
this Tcl error:

checking for Tcl configuration... found /System/Library/Tcl/8.3/
tclConfig.sh
checking for existence of /System/Library/Tcl/8.3/tclConfig.sh...
checking for Tcl public headers... /usr/include
checking for tclsh... /usr/bin/tclsh
checking for Tcl package directory... /mp/Library/Tcl
checking whether tclsh was compiled with threads... no
configure: error: tcl wasn't compiled with threads enabled