Jaguar support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 02:22:59 PDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 03:40, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>  Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> Just for fun, I tried to compile MacPorts trunk on Mac OS X 10.2.8
>> Jaguar. It didn't work:
>>

>> checking for sed... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
>> checking which sed flag to use for extended regexp... no idea
>> configure: error: cannot determine flag to use for /usr/bin/sed
>>

>> sed on Jaguar may not have any support for extended (modern) regular
>> expressions. I can't find any mention of them in the manpage.
>>
>> What should we do at this point? We still have 99 ports with
>> "platform darwin 6" sections. Should we declare Jaguar support dead
>> and remove those parts of those ports? Or can we fix Jaguar support
>> somehow? Or do we leave it as is and require users to manually build
>> GNU sed in order to build MacPorts? (If so, it'll be an older
>> version; GNU sed 4.1.5 doesn't compile on Jaguar either.)
>
> We can change it from a configure/compile-time error, to a run-time ?
>
> Considering there are not very many ports that use extended regexps
> anyway, it can be made to just error out when doing a -E reinplace...
> (rules of the game being that using jaguar *and* extended won't work)

Possible. I just expect that the number of ports using extended
regexp syntax will only increase. This was a newly added feature. As
time goes on, maintainers will adopt it.

> Alternatively one could just use an older MacPorts version for Jaguar.

I don't much like that alternative since the ports tree will be very
quickly updated to use keywords only in the newest release of MacPorts.

> But add a ticket for it, and I'll take a peek at hacking something up.

Thanks Anders. Here's the ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15577