Jaguar support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 13 01:16:31 PDT 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 18:44, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Ok, with that ticket resolved, the build proceeds further, but
>> now  complains about missing X11:
>> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/
>> include
>> checking whether -R must be followed by a space... neither works
>> checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
>> checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
>> checking for gethostbyname... yes
>> checking for connect... yes
>> checking for remove... yes
>> checking for shmat... yes
>> checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
>> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
>> Unknown configuration problem. Please install the X11 runtime
>> and/or X11 SDK  packages from the Xcode Developer Tools CD
>> configure: error: Broken X11 install
>
> MacPorts base does not really rely on X11. At first I thought it
> just checks for it to find the right value for ${x11prefix}, but
> there is also --with-x11-prefix to specify that. I am not sure why
> this check is there.
>
> ./configure --without-x
> should have been enough, but you won't be able to use any ports
> requiring X11.

Thanks, you're right, --without-x does let me get further in the
configure script.

But why can't I then compile ports requiring X11? We have XFree86 and
xorg in the ports tree. MacPorts would automatically install XFree86.
It's declared as a dependency of every X11-requiring port.

If getting MacPorts to allow X11 software to be compiled requires
first installing Apple X11.... then why do we have XFree86 and xorg
ports at all?

> By the way... I am wondering why the explicit check for the Mac OS
> X version did not hit you earlier or did you overwrite it?
>
> case "$MACOSX_VERSION" in
>   10.0*|10.1*|10.2*)
>     AC_WARN(This version of Mac OS X is not supported)
>     AC_WARN(Please upgrade at http://store.apple.com/)

I got this:

checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking MacPorts version... 1.7.0
checking for sw_vers... sw_vers
checking Mac OS X version... ProductName:       Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.2.8
BuildVersion:   6R73
checking for gcc... gcc

sw_vers on Jaguar does not accept any options, so when we call
"sw_vers -productVersion" we're getting the same output as if we
called "sw_vers". I fixed it:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/37552