tracking down extraction

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Fri Jun 13 16:52:51 PDT 2008

Joshua Root wrote:

> Does running with -d reveal anything useful?

Mainly that it seems to think it already did it:

...(a bunch of dependency checking)...
DEBUG: Searching for dependency: pkgconfig
DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for pkgconfig
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (glib2)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (glib2)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (glib2)
DEBUG: setting option extract.cmd to /opt/local/bin/bzip2
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.extract (glib2)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.patch (glib2)
--->  Applying patches to glib2
Error: Target org.macports.patch returned: couldn't change working directory

> The child interpreters run the code in the port1.0 directory, so you
> would want to look at portextract.tcl there in order to continue tracing.

Found it: bzip2 was the old tiger version that wouldn't run, so I
removed it and reinstalled.  I had to do another "port clean", but now
things are working again.

Several problems seem to be present:

1.  the port installer has a dependency on a port.  Granted, not a total
one, it falls back to unzip if it doesn't find bzip2, but if it's
broken...  That's kind of a minor issue though, if the command execution
error was detected.

2.  there seems to be redundancy in the ports vs the system.  osx (at
least leopard) comes with bzip2, and I'm sure that would have worked,
but the one in the ports overrode it.  It was installed as a dependency
of gnupg.  Likewise, because I use a lot of the perl libraries, it's
updating perl to 5.8.8, which is standard in leopard.

2.  The big problem is that the execution failure wasn't detected.  The
big port upgrade got started, so I can't really test options to fix
this, but you guys probably know your tcl better than I anyhow.  It
could be that tar isn't catching the error properly itself; I would
guess in that case the only way to fix this would be decompress
separately, which would be ugly.

Anyway, unless you think I can be more help, I'll leave it to the
regulars to decide how best to handle it...