gcc-4.2 for Leopard

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Jun 14 11:56:08 PDT 2008

On Jun 14, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

>     if {""==${configure.compiler}} {
>         switch -exact "${os.platform} ${os.major}" {
>             "darwin 7" { set configure.compiler gcc-3.3 }
>             "darwin 8" { set configure.compiler gcc-4.0 }
>             "darwin 9" { set configure.compiler gcc-4.0 }
>         }
>     }
>
> Wouldn't an option in macports.conf to select the default compiler be
> useful?

This seems like an interesting idea, though I think you'd also want to
tie it to a global configuration setting so that you could compile
MacPorts as a whole against a specific compiler (unless the port
itself overrode this, perhaps knowing itself to be broken unless a
specific compiler was used).  This could be useful for validating new
compilers or even trying experimental compilers like gcc-llvm and
seeing how many ports fail to build.  In other words, the platform
check is a reasonable default, but I can see an admin on any platform
version wanting to override this default without having to edit the
Tcl.   Since gcc_select was retired, may it rest in peace, this
configuration knob becomes even more important.

- Jordan