gcc-4.2 for Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 18 15:08:50 PDT 2008

On Jun 14, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>>     if {""==${configure.compiler}} {
>>         switch -exact "${os.platform} ${os.major}" {
>>             "darwin 7" { set configure.compiler gcc-3.3 }
>>             "darwin 8" { set configure.compiler gcc-4.0 }
>>             "darwin 9" { set configure.compiler gcc-4.0 }
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>> Wouldn't an option in macports.conf to select the default compiler be
>> useful?
>
> This seems like an interesting idea, though I think you'd also want to
> tie it to a global configuration setting so that you could compile
> MacPorts as a whole against a specific compiler (unless the port
> itself overrode this, perhaps knowing itself to be broken unless a
> specific compiler was used).  This could be useful for validating new
> compilers or even trying experimental compilers like gcc-llvm and
> seeing how many ports fail to build.  In other words, the platform
> check is a reasonable default, but I can see an admin on any platform
> version wanting to override this default without having to edit the
> Tcl.   Since gcc_select was retired, may it rest in peace, this
> configuration knob becomes even more important.

I don't want to introduce yet more ways for two users to think they
have installed the same thing but in fact they haven't. You're just
creating more support headaches that way.

gcc-4.0 is the MacPorts default for Leopard now. Let it stay that
way. (I'm praying Apple won't remove gcc-4.0 in the next Xcode. It
would be foolish of them to do so.) Let ports that absolutely need
gcc-4.2 specify that in the portfile with configure.compiler.