MacPorts AutoBuild

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jun 20 17:06:49 PDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Does it also support picking up where it left off, or is it an
> assumption that once you've generated this initial list of ports,
> you're committed to trying to build the whole thing from beginning to
> end?   The latter scenario is fine, I'm just wondering if there's
> currently any bookkeeping associated with which ports on that list
> have been tried and which still need to be built.  If there were, it
> would obviously make it easier for volunteer builders to start and
> stop batch builds in order to take advantage of slack time on
> "borrowed" hardware at ${theirInstitution} and
> we could also discuss the notion of "jobbing out" builds to remote
> builders as the next logical enhancement.
>
> I know, I know, I want everything. :-)

Yeah, don't we all?  What it does is check to see if there's already a
built package (from using archive mode) for the version/revision it's
about to build; if there is, it doesn't bother trying to build again.
If not (eg, it failed before, or never tried before) then it obviously
tries to build.  And it does use trap to allow Ctrl-C, moving the
pertinent logs out of the chroot and doing cleanup before stopping.
That's how I was able to build all those ports initially on a MBP
while still using said machine.

> Where does one check out the current state of MPAB goodness so far
> again?  I must have missed that somewhere in this discussion chain.
> I've got some unused hardware I wouldn't mind throwing at testing this
> for awhile...

Some basic stuff at <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MPAB>, the readme
in the tarball has more info currently than that wiki page.

Bryan