MacPorts AutoBuild

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jun 20 13:51:26 PDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 12:11 PM, William Siegrist wrote:

> Once MacPorts has the software ready for a build system, I can start
> requesting hardware to support it. I have not looked at MPAB yet to
> see how close it is to an automatic build system. I also remember
> James saying MPWA would be used as the front-end for such a system,
> and I dont think MPWA is ready either.

MPAB works now, though I've only built maybe 5% of MacPorts's ports on
my MBP, and even that has generated several trac tickets (and a few I
think I forgot to file as well).

> So, if someone wants to lead the initiative to assemble the parts
> and explain how I can deploy it on hardware, I'd be happy to ask for
> more servers here.  If no one wants to take charge of this, I will
> eventually work on it, but dont know when I'll have time.

If you look at the readme in the tarball, I currently claim the
necessary parts are 10.5.[23], Xcode 3.0, and Apple's X11 (including
X11SDK from Xcode of course); then a tarball of MacPorts itself.
After that, 'sudo ./mpab' should start.  It builds in a chroot, so the
first run will take some time as it builds the chroot (4.5G or so).

Bryan