/opt/local/bin/tclsh not compiled with threads enabled

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 24 13:24:10 PDT 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:42, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2008, at 8:02 AM, George Armah wrote:
>
>> I have been able to work around this by changing my .bash_profile so
>> that /usr/bin/tclsh is used
>> instead. I was wondering why the tclsh binary that comes with a
>> MacPorts
>> install isn't compiled
>> with threads enabled.
>
> There's a +threads variant for the macports tcl
>
>> Any special reason for this? It seems a bit
>> peculiar that you can't use
>> a MacPorts binary for another MacPorts installation.
>
> You probably don't want to use MacPorts tcl for the MacPorts
> installation since you could then uninstall MacPorts tcl (or
> attempt to upgrade it) and run into a problem where MacPorts can't
> run because it's looking fore files you just had MacPorts delete.

Right. The MacPorts configure script might also pick up other pieces
from an existing MacPorts install, which would be bad.

Here's the script I use to build MacPorts for myself. Notably I set
the PATH to not include the MacPorts prefix before running configure.

$ cat build_macports.sh
#!/bin/bash

PREFIX=/mp

cd ~/macports/base
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
./configure \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/Library/Tcl \
--with-install-user=rschmidt \
--with-install-group=admin \
--with-applications-dir=/Applications/MacPorts \
--with-frameworks-dir=$PREFIX/Library/Frameworks \
--enable-readline || exit $?
make -j2 || exit $?
make install || exit $?
make clean || exit $?