Splitting the guide

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Mar 5 09:22:46 PST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Thomas Reifferscheid wrote:

> Hi, great work Simon!
>
> For doing this automatically (e.g. every night),
> we could need some kind of shell (bash) script doing this. Do you
> think
> thats possible for fully automation?
>
> Kind regards
> Thomas

	Guide regen is already automated in the base/portmgr/jobs/
GuideRegen.sh script, which runs as an svn post-commit hook on our
subversion repo to keep guide.macports.org always up-to-date. What
Simon is providing us here with is a view of the guide as a chapter
per page alternative, per a request of mine.

	Simon, I like it and I still think the entire thing in a single page
is a bit too much, but I would like to go over what Mark originally
replied 'cause he did raise some valid points there (and it's been a
while and I don't remember them at the moment ;-). One thing I would
comment about your alternative, however, is with respect to the
sidebar. Is is possible to keep it with us in every single chapter-
page? At the moment we see it if we're on the front page, but as soon
as we move to any chapter it disappears, and that's not incredibly
friendly.

	Thanks for the initiative! Regards,...

-jmpp