Splitting the guide

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Wed Mar 5 14:37:11 PST 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:52:46PM -0430, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> [snip]
>
> 	Simon, I like it and I still think the entire thing in a single page is a
> bit too much, but I would like to go over what Mark originally replied
> 'cause he did raise some valid points there (and it's been a while and I
> don't remember them at the moment ;-). One thing I would comment about your
> alternative, however, is with respect to the sidebar. Is is possible to keep
> it with us in every single chapter-page? At the moment we see it if we're on
> the front page, but as soon as we move to any chapter it disappears, and
> that's not incredibly friendly.
>
> 	Thanks for the initiative! Regards,...
>
> -jmpp

Hi Juan,

I tried to add the sidebar on every page but it didn't work. If anybody knows
how this is done with DocBook please tell me. Thanks.

What I could do is to modify the html with a simple script (sed or tcl) to add
the sidebar on every chunk. What do you think?

My main concern with an only chunked version is that searching doesn't work.
So I think we should keep a big version and add a chunked version if someone
just wants to read some sections.

Thanks,
Simon
--