[MacPorts] #14342: python25 drops modules by default, but python25 doesn't (js)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 10 08:21:50 PDT 2008

Derek Harland wrote:
> I'm not sure I particularly like this proposed change.  As I
> understand it, you explicitly want to *downgrade* the functionality
> of python24 to make it more like python25, by for example, removing
> hashlib and zlib.
>
> I cannot understand the logic of this.  This can only conceivably
> break python24 installations.  Even if all existing py-* ports are
> altered to bring in extra required dependencies, peoples (and
> institutions) own proprietary code that previously assumed the
> existence of these standard libraries will break.  And that will
> annoy them greatly.

I don't care about software outside of MacPorts. The user is responsible
him-/herself to install the appropriate dependencies for it.

> Why are you proposing to explicitly *downgrade* python24, instead of
> *upgrading* python25?

The disabled_modules was chosen wisely as Markus and Boyd explained
earlier in this thread. I don't see a reason to change python25 again.

> I also do not buy into the inference that's been made in this thread
> in the past that more people must be using python25 than python24.
> For institutions with large proprietary codebases (eg financial
> companies), shifting python versions *is* a costly business that is
> not worth the often negligible benefit.  I would suggest that many
> are still running more code off 2.4 than 2.5 (companies I have been
> involved with have moved from 1.5->20->2.2->2.4->2.6).  I'm not
> suggesting many such companies run code on OSX, but mine certainly is.

Wouldn't it be the responsibility of their sysadmins to test new
releases and do upgrades only if it works? It would be their job to
install new py-* dependencies if needed.

Rainer