Maintainer away tracking

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 17 07:32:22 PDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> In addition, ports that are seriously broken (ie, don't build,
>> security vulnerability, distfile no longer available) can be fixed
>> to  work (without major changes) without waiting for the timeout
>> already.
>
> These points are not exactly clarified in the guide.
>  # A critical port is broken that affects many users.
> Doesn't sound like 'missing distfile' or 'doesn't build' to me. I
> can't find another section regarding committing without maintainers'
> acknowledgment.

I don't recall where it was documented, but it had been discussed on
the mailing lists (perhaps quite a while ago).

It may have even been in the old darwinports committer information.

A committer may make a minimal change to a port that is broken in
order to fix it without waiting for the 72hr timeout (it's good to
still ping the maintainer, though). If it's not documented anywhere
anymore, we should probably get the documentation updated.

>> I don't see the additional speed benefit as worth the extra book
>> keeping.
>
> The extra book keeping is done my each individual maintainer. So not
> much work for a maintainers themself.

it's still extra work ;-)

>> That said, I'm not going to object if others want to use it (I do
>> know  that I don't really plan on advertising to the world any time
>> I may be  going away on vacation).
>
> Hm, why not? You are not going to be around for any work on
> MacPorts, so tell the project about it. If we know you are just away
> for a few days, someone could also hold on committing not-so-
> important tickets until the known date at which you are back.

... because I feel that the 72 hour timeout is sufficient, and I don't
like the idea of a public place where people could get a good
indication that my house is probably empty.

--
Daniel J. Luke