new port search format

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 21:37:08 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 20:23, Rainer Müller wrote:

> William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> Maybe something along the lines of the "w" option to ps?  Or a
>> verbose  flag that turns on/off the descriptions?
>
> Hm, we could remove the descriptions by default and only show it in
> verbose mode. Although, then users might miss the descriptions at all?
>
> If you only want the port names without version information or
> descriptions, you can already use `port -q search`.

No, I don't want any of that, I just want what we had before. :)

I agree it got to be a mess when descriptions were longer than the
terminal window, which is why I have a shortcut to maximize a window,
and use it often in the terminal. A better solution would be
intelligent word wrapping in the software, so thank you for
implementing that. But it would be better if we could keep the 3-
column format we had before, and just wrap the description within
that third column if necessary.