new port search format

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 21 04:55:16 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> No, I don't want any of that, I just want what we had before. :)

You really just want to revert back to the old messy format?

> I agree it got to be a mess when descriptions were longer than the
> terminal window, which is why I have a shortcut to maximize a window,
> and use it often in the terminal. A better solution would be
> intelligent word wrapping in the software, so thank you for
> implementing that. But it would be better if we could keep the 3-
> column format we had before, and just wrap the description within
> that third column if necessary.

So you use a workaround with maximizing the window for you personally.
Why use a workaround instead of fixing it by using a new output format?
Should we add a line like "Please maximize your terminal window if you
want readable output" to the guide? Please not!

New word wrapping wouldn't help in the old format. The third column
would not become more readable in a 80 columns terminal. There is not
even a 'third column' in the old output, the description just starts
anywhere.

Also the path to the Portfile is totally unnecessary, categories are a
much more important information. Developers can use `port dir` to find
the path. And in general the path is always $category/$name.

For example the old output:
$ port search python
dbus-python24                  devel/dbus-python24 0.82.2       Python
bindings for the dbus message bus system.
dbus-python25                  devel/dbus-python25 0.82.4       Python
bindings for the dbus message bus system.
gnome-bindings-python          devel/gnome-bindings-python 2.12
The GNOME bindings for Python
ice-python                     devel/ice-python 3.2.1        Fast,
object-oriented RPC for C++, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP
subversion-python24bindings    devel/subversion-python24bindings 1.4.6
       Python bindings for the subversion version control system.

And now the new output:
$ port search python
dbus-python24 @0.82.2 (devel)
     Python bindings for the dbus message bus system.

dbus-python25 @0.82.4 (devel)
     Python bindings for the dbus message bus system.

gnome-bindings-python @2.12 (devel, gnome)
     The GNOME bindings for Python

ice-python @3.2.1 (devel, python)
     Fast, object-oriented RPC for C++, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP

subversion-python24bindings @1.4.6 (devel, python)
     Python bindings for the subversion version control system.

And you really want that old mess back?

I am open for improvement to the new format, but I am clearly against
reverting back to the old format. I changed the format because it was so
unreadable and annoyed me that much.

Rainer