[35353] tinyca2 Lint Report

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Wed Mar 26 08:53:11 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Patchfile naming: The old guide was contradictory, and in one place,
> recommended the naming scheme "patch-*" while in another place it
> recommended "patch-*.diff". The new guide is now consistent in
> recommending "patch-*.diff".

The original documentation (which I wrote) was originally consistent
with the FreeBSD
patch specification:
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/slow-patch.html

We then adopted the semantic of patch-foobar.diff, where 'foobar' was
a feature that
covered many files -- this was due to the headache of patch-per-file
for a sizable set
of diffs.

I don't actually think it matters what name you use, as long as it
makes sense.

> As I have explained over and over on this list, I prefer this
> because my
> editor can then syntax-highlight
> diff files like diff files, instead of like whatever the underlying
> file type is, which would be an error, because, e.g., the difference
> of two C files IS NOT a C file; it is a difference file and should be
> treated as such. Mac OS X cannot assign applications based on file
> prefixes. It can only assign applications based on file extensions.
> Therefore diff files must have a unique extension, as should all
> other types of files.

I don't want to get e-mailed when I name a patch that makes *your*
editor
unhappy when you double-click a file. The e-mail should be saved for
something that's actually an error.

> Trailing whitespace: trailing whitespace after a backslash causes an
> error (the line is not continued as expected). Such whitespace must
> not exist. I'm not sure if there are other trailing whitespace issues
> that were being caught by this check. If not, the check could be
> reduced to catching trailing whitespace following a backslash.

My original newline complaint was:
	Warning: Line 2 should be a newline (after RCS tag)

	# $Id: Portfile 35353 2008-03-25 18:13:44Z landonf at macports.org $
	PortSystem      1.0

Why does that matter? These "your contribution is in error!" mails are
soul draining.
It makes one feel as if you've stumbled into the Department of Motor
Vehicles and
forgot registration form B.5.

-landonf