[35353] tinyca2 Lint Report

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 27 04:46:31 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 11:03, James Berry wrote:

> I agree fully with Landon. The automated lint on submit should be
> limited, if even allowed, to severe errors that will cause the port
> to be unusable. We have enough of a hard time getting people to
> keep their ports up to date, without adding layers of unneeded
> complexity.

I think automated port lint is useful, if lint shows things that
truly need fixing in a port. For example, we do want all ports to
have certain required variables, and an $Id$ line, and we do want
descriptions on variants, so it's good to be reminded when we've
forgotten these things.

We currently send the port lint report in a separate email to the
committer and maintainer (I think). Would it be better if the report
were appended to the change email that gets sent to macports-changes?