Merging to the release_1_6 branch (was: Re: Fwd: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15109)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 27 04:29:20 PDT 2008

Randall Wood wrote:
> SO when are we planning on getting a macports (1.6.1, 1.7.0) out that
> addresses this issue?

There were a lot of changes to trunk. But not all of them are suited for
inclusion in a 1.6.1 release.

To make a 1.6.1 release a lot of revisions still need to get merged to
the release_1_6 branch, but currently we don't have any guidelines who
should do the merge. See the 1.6.1 milestone, all tickets are still open
because nothing was merged to release_1_6 yet. This makes it difficult
to track the progress for this release.

Should the base developers just merge back what should be included in
1.6.1 judged by themselves? Or should we put up some system for
nominating revisions for merging and let the release manager do it?

There is no mention how the merging should be done in our ReleaseProcess
documentation at [1]. I think the approach until now was to review the
svn log of trunk and merge back what is needed, but this is a long list.
The ChangeLog can be a good hint, but not all revisions which need to
get merged might be noted down there. So I am in favor of nominating
revisions by everyone and merging by one person (or a small group)
coordinating the release.

As I said before, some features have already been merged to release_1_6,
see [2] for reference.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess
[2] http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-May/005112.html