Ruby 1.9 port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 27 17:22:07 PDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 18:41, Jay Levitt wrote:

> Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:
>
>> * Name: I tend to call it ruby19. Another option would be ruby-devel,
>> but 1.9 is mildly incompatible,
>
> I'd say more than mildly!  And 1.9.0, at least, is explicitly NOT
> production-ready.  ruby19 sounds logical.
>
> I don't know if there's a naming standard on macports, but "-dev" and
> "-devel" package suffixes on both Red Hat- and Debian-based Linux
> distros mean "the include files you'll need to compile against this
> package/library".  So I'd recommend against -devel.

MacPorts ports already include the headers. The port suffix "-devel"
in MacPorts means "the development version of the software". Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14540

If 1.9.0 is explicitly not production-ready, then "ruby-devel" seems
an appropriate port name. Later, when 1.9.x becomes production-ready,
it can be decided whether this should become the new ruby port, or
whether a new port ruby19 should be added.