[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit Python?

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Thu May 29 15:09:38 PDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Frank Schima wrote:

> I have the latest Mac Pro with 10.5.3. I ran the sys.maxint test and
> got the 32-bit result. I tried both the Apple python and the
> MacPorts python 2.5.2.

The MacPorts 2.5.2 doesn't have my 64-bit hacks in it. I'm not sure
what the consequences of 64-bit Python will be with respect to other
Python packages, so I haven't committed the changes. And I ran into a
problem compiling this on Tiger with GNU (non-Apple-patched) GCC 4.2.1.

But it's really 64-bit Python here, I think:

  $ /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys; print sys.maxint'
2147483647

  $ /opt/casa/core2-apple-darwin9/3rd-party/bin/python -c 'import sys;
print sys.maxint'
9223372036854775807

Here's the MacPorts port: