Retry on checksum failures?

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Nov 1 13:08:03 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> David Evans wrote:
>
>> In addition, it would be nice to have a maintainer tool a bit like
>> distcheck that would iterate
>> through a ports site list and download and checksum each site to check
>> for this sort of problem.
>>

> Isn't this exactly what 'port distcheck' does? It is downloading from
> all mirrors and checking checksums against the Portfile.
>
> Rainer

According to the guide:

Distcheck reports whether or not the distfile(s) specified in a Portfile
are still available on the developer's download site.

And it says that the default for distcheck.check is "moddate".  So my
undertanding is that it attempts to fetch the moddate for the file which
allows it to test if the site if available and the file exists and that
it is older than
the Portfile.

In the case of the problem site that I cited originally, distcheck
returned a warning that the target file was
newer than the Portfile.

On the other hand, now that I am reading this section of the guide, I
see that livecheck has a livecheck.md5
variable to specify an md5 comparison on thel ivecheck.url.   So if I
set the livecheck.url to the actual
distribution file url and set the livecheck.md5 to its md5 checksum then
maybe I would get some like what
I am looking for. However, livecheck only allows a single URL.

What I was looking for was a maintainer command (or even external
utility) that would essentially do
the fetch and checksum phases iteratively for each site in master_sites
and report any errors as a
warning message.

Dave