Retry on checksum failures?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 1 13:29:09 PDT 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 15:08, David Evans wrote:

> On the other hand, now that I am reading this section of the guide, I
> see that livecheck has a livecheck.md5
> variable to specify an md5 comparison on thel ivecheck.url.   So if I
> set the livecheck.url to the actual
> distribution file url and set the livecheck.md5 to its md5 checksum
> then
> maybe I would get some like what
> I am looking for. However, livecheck only allows a single URL.

Using livecheck.md5 and setting livecheck.url to the distfile is not
a good idea, because MacPorts has to download the indicated file in
its entirety before it can compute its checksum. That means every
time you or anyone else livechecks the port, a huge wasteful download
has to take place. Find an HTML page or other small file to download
instead.

> What I was looking for was a maintainer command (or even external
> utility) that would essentially do
> the fetch and checksum phases iteratively for each site in
> master_sites
> and report any errors as a
> warning message.

I don't know if distcheck does this; I haven't used that command. But
I did write a script to do this for ImageMagick, which has been
notorious for having different files on different servers.