MacPorts 1.7.0

David Evans devans at macports.org
Thu Nov 6 15:20:25 PST 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> The plan for 1.7.0 is basically to get the last remaining tickets which are
> assigned to the 1.7.0 milestone:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/milestone/MacPorts%201.7.0>
>
> Which shows three tickets remaining, though two are interrelated.  The third
> is just for an apparent edge-case of the "we-love-you-so-much" Tcl
> environment bug.
>
> Once these are put into place, we'll get a beta1 put out there for testing,
> unless someone has some other issues.  Like, for example, Paul's idea for
> making dependencies a bit more forward-compatible so #126 can be worked on
> without needing to wait for further releases to get things working.
>
> If you have something really pressing bring it up, but I'd like to see 1.8.0
> much sooner than 1.7.0 was from the previous, as I already have a few things
> to put into 1.8.0...
>
> Bryan

Great news.

This being the case, I wonder if it would be useful to add a MacPorts
1.8.0 milestone to Trac and perhaps
a Macports 1.7.1 if minor releases are contemplated.  This would allow
the release team a mechanism
for categorizing outstanding tickets in a way that is visible to the
community.

As of now, I see 84 open tickets assigned to MacPorts base bugs, some of
which seem to have a
solution attached but for whatever reason have not been committed.  And
some of these have been
around for some time.  A good example is #8221.

Is there an effort afoot to address any low hanging fruit here that can
be incorporated into a 1.7.0
release without too much effort?  Or is it too late for that?

Perhaps some that are now irrelevant that can be closed out?

Is there anything that the rest of us can do to help?