MacPorts 1.7.0

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Nov 6 19:02:04 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:20:25PM -0800, David Evans said:
[...]
> This being the case, I wonder if it would be useful to add a MacPorts
> 1.8.0 milestone to Trac and perhaps
> a Macports 1.7.1 if minor releases are contemplated.  This would allow
> the release team a mechanism
> for categorizing outstanding tickets in a way that is visible to the
> community.
>
> As of now, I see 84 open tickets assigned to MacPorts base bugs, some of
> which seem to have a
> solution attached but for whatever reason have not been committed.  And
> some of these have been
> around for some time.  A good example is #8221.
>
> Is there an effort afoot to address any low hanging fruit here that can
> be incorporated into a 1.7.0
> release without too much effort?  Or is it too late for that?

Unless it's a really big deal, it'd be best to leave it for a later release
so 1.7.0 can be available.  We still see frequent reports of PATH and Tcl
env bug issues, so those long-standing issues can be dealt with finally.
Not to mention there are already quite a few changes already in 1.7.0 [1]
and there will probably be a few bugs here and there, so best to get those
ironed out too without adding even more features.

> Perhaps some that are now irrelevant that can be closed out?

That's possible, I've been going through old port bugs currently (and I see
nox has as well), once done I do plan on doing the same for base bugs,
hopefully some will be irrelevant now, since that's the easiest fix...

> Is there anything that the rest of us can do to help?

As Ryan said, going through bugs is definitely a help, many are against
nomaintainer ports so need someone to fix them, even if you don't take over
maintainership of it.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/ChangeLog>