MacPorts 1.7.0

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Nov 7 00:05:16 PST 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:

>> Is there an effort afoot to address any low hanging fruit here
>> that can
>> be incorporated into a 1.7.0
>> release without too much effort?  Or is it too late for that?
>
> Unless it's a really big deal, it'd be best to leave it for a later
> release
> so 1.7.0 can be available.  We still see frequent reports of PATH
> and Tcl
> env bug issues, so those long-standing issues can be dealt with
> finally.

That could have been wrapped in a 1.6.1, but there are other changes
too.
(such as dependency engine fixes that address some very common
issues...)

But there shouldn't be any more stuff added to 1.7.0, rather the
opposite
(postpone some things to 1.8) - had removing features not caused more
bugs.
If there's anything easy that is omissed, then that can come in a 1.7.1
revision through "selfupdate" as long as the initial PKG work as
expected.

The only rule I've seen so far is that only .0 releases get a disk
image.
But "elsewhere" in development, major changes get major version
increases
(usually when it breaks API, for instance new Portfile syntax for
MacPorts)
but minor bugfixes and such can go as revisions with minor version
numbers.

The sooner the release_1_7 branch can be created and tested as betas,
the better. But I know that svnmerge caused a lot of grief last time.

--anders