X11 in Macports

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Nov 23 02:27:30 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 23:13, Joshua Root wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I intend to go through all the x11 related ports and update
>>> dependencies to be lib: or bin: where appropriate instead of port:
>>> (if
>>> a port is not nomaintainer or openmaintainer, I will file a bug in
>>> trac to be on the safe side... unless general consensus here is that
>>> such reports would be overkill and I should just do it myself)
>
> As Ryan explained, that's only a good idea on Darwin 9 (and of course,
> development of its X11 will eventually stop too...) So maybe a better
> idea is to delete the unneeded dependencies in a 'platform darwin 9'
> section. Or, only add them on darwin 7 and 8, that way non-Darwin
> platforms could also use their own libs if present. (Good idea? I
> don't
> know.)

Yeah, I mentioned that as an alternative as well...

>> We did have consensus and standardization: everything that needed X11
>> declared a dependency on "lib:libX11.6:XFree86". Then some people
>> started changing some ports to "lib:libX11.6:xorg" for an unknown
>> reason.
>
> It doesn't matter so much what they depend on, as long as that port
> has
> a check like that currently in XFree86 (since we really want people to
> use Apple's binary X11 on Mac OS X). So the depended-on port will only
> be installed on other platforms, in which case I think xorg-libX11 is
> fine. Hopefully users on non-Mac platforms will know that they also
> need
> an X server somewhere.

Well the x server itself can be xorg-server... but there's no real
reason that we *need* an X server... we just need to worry about the
client side deps and the user can run it on whatever server they want
(they can use Exceed on windows for all we care)

>>> 3) The old monolith xorg and XFree86
>>>
>>> I'd like to eventually punt these in favor of having just one X11
>>> solution in Macports based on the latest release.
>
> A port that installed XQuartz (or the appropriate Apple X11 package on
> older OSes) would be nice, actually.

I wasn't really talking about installing the binary Apple package...
I'm talking about building it from source from Macports if the user
desires to use it instead of the one on their system...